Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Animal In Us: Animal By Def Leppard



Def Leppard was one of my favorite rock bands when I was growing up and back then, they were really heavy. When I was in college, I was wondering why they haven't done a follow-up to their hit album "Pyromania". The question was answered when I saw a new song by the band and what struck me was the fact that the drummer now had only one arm, yet still played the drums. Man, I was blown away that he still was playing with the band with just one arm. The song that caught my attention was their hit single "Animal" from the album hysteria.

For me, when emotion overrides everything else, I think about this song. Just like the song says, when it's an urge from the blood, you really gotta have it. Whether it's love, fighting or obssession for a thing or a even a person, when the you get the itch, you got to get the cure. This is especially true when you get in the heat of the moment. At that point, all reason leaves you and the only that you want is satisfaction in any way that you can get it.

I guess in the family, I'm the one who seldom gets into this mode of emotion. I guess it's because with everyone being quick-tempered during a bad situation, the one thing I don't want to do is to throw more fuel to the fire. Sometimes I get criticized for being too nice because of that. Despite being labeled as such, I sometime have my moments when something or someone ticks me off and I just go blind because the incident pissed me off which it proves I'm capable of that animal emotion where logic gets tossed out the window and all you want is to get it done or win in the conflict no matter what. Be that as it may I try to stick to reason especially now that I have a lot of things to sort out and the fact that majority of the people around me tend to yield to their animal instincts when things go wrong.

No comments: