Saturday, August 30, 2008

When Emotion Wins Out: Breakdown By Tom Petty And The HeartBreakers



This morning my temper's a little has cooled down a bit after that rude awakening the other day. I'll tell you try your best to keep it together just so things go smoothly around here and your blood pressure stays constant as you can hope that day begins and ends right. Sadly when one person goes into hysteria mode, it sets off a chain reaction like those zombie-rabid movies where one bite deserves another and pretty soon everyone's infected. At times like that raw emotion wins out over restraint as you start getting angry yourself because you can't take it anymore. When things cool down, you start feeling like a jackass because you acted that way and when that happens, I hear the song "Breakdown" by Tom Petty And The HeartBreakers playing in my head as a way to sooth my already shattered nerves and ruined mood.

Although the song is about about giving to a someone's request as he weakens the other's emotional wall, right now for me is about being able to have the right to blow off some steam like everyone else. In this house, when you feel angry and want to express it, everybody starts to restrain you a like putting out a cigarette by crushing it on an ashtray. However, when the slightest mistake happens, it's time for mass hysteria and the whole world goes upside down. All the suicide kings and drama queens come up on stage and do their revolting act as you are helpess to stop it. You're the guy who always has to keep it cool and reason things out and the worst part of it all is that it's not appreciated and you get by the heat in the process. When the tables turn, it's always one-sided.

I guess that's the reason why I don't express my anger often, though I think should give in to my emotions time to time because it' hard to just bottle it up. One thing I can tell you is that I wouldn't do what some of the idiots around here would and that's when you vent your anger at some innocent bystander. The only thing that it does is spread the hate around and pretty soon you'll have everybody at each other's throat. What is so infuriating is when the chaos escalates, the initiator runs and hides and even washes his or her hands off the whole mess. For those of us who get caught in the crossfire, gives us a chance to blow off some steam because when we are wronged, it really can piss us off.

No comments: