Saturday, August 16, 2008

Young Bloods: Only The Young By Journey


Lately, I've been noticing that my beard is starting to show some strands of white hair. When I saw that, I also notice that there were white threads of gray in some parts of my hair. I guess the join the old group, but then again, that was already evident when I turned 40 last year and with the way things are, I really need to shape up. I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to envy the youth because they full freedom and energy that despite the limitations adults set on them, you get the feeling that they can do anything. When a I hear the song, "Only The Young" by Journey, that idea hits home with a lot of power.

I first heard this song on the movie Vision Quest which was about a love affair between a mature woman and an ambitious highschool wrestler who was intent on achieving his goal for that year. When I watch the lead character in that movie, it reminds me of the time when we had a lot of goals and we were so full of energy that we were determined to achieve it, no matter what the odds. Even if their elders put them down, it only makes them more determined to make it and if they continue to have that mindset, then the future will always be bright for them. I guess when see the energy of the youth, it makes us wish we were young again.

I guess I made a lot of mistakes in the past that ran contrary to youthful energy such hesitation and lack of drive and right now I'm feeling the consequences of these mistakes. I know I can't go back anymore and that best thing I can do is move on. Making all those mistakes and the fact that I still haven't put a lot of things in order doesn't qualify me to lecture the youth on what they should do. I just hope they don't make the same mistakes that I did because it leaves you with a lot of regret especially when you look back at your In the end, I have to agree with the Louden Swain when he said people live every moment like there's no tomorrow because the fact is there isn't and that's very true.

No comments: