Wednesday, August 20, 2008

To A Girl I Met On A Bus: Just To See Her By Smokey Robinson



Smokey Robinson is a singer who needs no introduction. From his early days in Motown to the present, the man's voice as well as his songs were absolutely amazing. I hate to admit it but the first time I truly appreciated him was when I heard the song "Tracks Of My Tears" when I saw the movie Platoon during the "session" scene which I will write about later. What I will write about is a song that became popular during the late 80's which aptly describes an experience that I will never forget. The song that best sums up that experience is "Just To See Her" which is what I hear in my head when I think about that precious moment.

Just like the song that talks about wanting to a beautiful whose image is implanted firmly in your brain, so too does this song take me back to that time when I met someone who made a deep impression on me on my way back home. It started when I was catching a bus back to my house and dark clouds were starting to form. I got a ride just in time and settled into my seat when a strikingly beautiful girl also stepped in. She went up and down the aisle looking for a good place to sit and lo and behold, she chose to sit next to me. As the rain started to fall, I commended to myself that I was lucky to have gotten in and all of a sudden she said the same thing and the conversation took off from there as we started talking from Ortigas to South Super Highway where I got off and she said goodbye.

To this day, that memory still warms my heart and I deeply regret not knowing her name before I left. Her perfume really caught my nose as she walked back and forth in the bus which really caught my attention. When we were talking, I never felt so comfortable and so happy in my life. Her smile and laughter made me oblivious to the rain and traffic. I would given anything to prolong the trip just to chat with her some more. I still think about her from time to time and like Smokey's song, I hope I get the chance to see her again.

No comments: