Friday, August 1, 2008

Waiting On Empty Promises: Tea In The Sahara By The Police


You know it sucks when you're back's up against the wall and you feel the sharp blade of the knife starting to cut at the skin of your throat. When you're at the end of your rope, you get that desperate urge that a miracle would happen and you get rescued from your plight. However it hurts when you think that you're in the clear only to come up short or worst is when someone gives you a glimmer of hope, only to fail you and leave to your doom. All that you can think of is the empty promises that brought you momentary joy, but in the end was nothing more than false hope. I've experienced this many times and the song "Tea In The Sahara" by the Police often reminds me of these sad experiences.

Forgive if I interpret this song literally because whenever I hear this song, I remember those feelings of being forsaken and lied to at certain times in my life. The story of sisters condemned asking for one request only to be denied that request really saddens me. Given assurances that never came true is one of the cruelest things that one person can do to another. I remember experiencing one such promises a few years ago and when I found out it was a lie, all the air went out of my body and I was numb to everything and everyone around me. That was one of the worst periods of my life.

They say don't listen or watch or read anything that makes you feel bad, but in this song, I can't help it. It's a very haunting song and I'm a sucker for such types of music. This song also reminds of a very annoying situation that has transpired lately and like the sisters in the song, I wound up with a cup full of sand. I hope a find a solution to this predicament soon because I hate going through this experience because I feel that somebody's playing a sick joke on me and it's not funny at all. I'll say it once, I'll say it again: Just because life's not fair, doesn't mean it shouldn't be anymore unfair than it already is.

No comments: