Friday, August 22, 2008

To My Brother's Third Year School Party: Let's Groove By Earth, Wind And Fire



I'll admit I'm not much of a dance music fan when I was young. Apart from not having enough audacity, My preference in music at the time was against the flow: Metal, 60's and 70's rock, blues and some folk. My batch and those of my brothers' on the other hand, soaked the dance trends of the times like sponge on water. When the dance music played, everybody just went craazy on the floor. What astounds me is that some of these dance tracks are still being played by todays generation on the dance floor and once such track is "Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind And Fire.

My most vivid memory of this song was at brother's third highschool party when the summer was already approaching and his class wanted to celebrate the end of the school year. As the preparations were finished and the guest had arrived (many of whom were intoxicated), the stage was set and when brother gave his friend the signal to set it off, he slid through the dance with amazing grace, grabbed a girl by hand and danced as song played. All of a sudden, the living room-turned-dance floor erupted as the rest of the guest rushed to the floor and everyone started to dance like crazy. While majority danced, others were drinking beer and whisky or enjoying a "fat one" and despite the fact that it was getting late, it didn't the stop guess from dancing their feet off. When I woke up at around 7am to go to school, I was surprised that there were still a lot of guest who were there though by that they were exhausted from all the revelry.

I have to admit that to this day, this song is strong among the young. To be played in dance parties through so many generations shows just how popular a dance tune this was. Apart from that, this is one of those songs that once it enters your head, it's hard to turn off. When it enter my mind, it takes me back to that night and that party with so many cool people. I guess that's the reason why I eventually accepted this song because I also had a good time at that party and today when I think of that time, this song starts playing in my head.

No comments: