Saturday, August 23, 2008

Another Good Cover Songs: Piece Of My Heart By Rough Cut



Like I have written before, I always went against the trend when I was in high school. In music, most of the bands that I listened to at the time were those big-haired, black leathered, spandex metal groups. Screaming voices and loud guitars were the tunes that came out of my radio from morning to night. There were a lot of one-hit-wonders who came out of nowhere and then suddenly disappeared during the decade. One such band that I liked played a song that I thought was original at the time but turned out to be a cover song called "Piece Of My Heart" by Rough Cut which was originally done by Janis Joplin.

It was a male version of her hit song about give all for the one that a person loves, but feels unappreciated. That situation can really cut anyone's heart to pieces, we they really love that person. I really thought that this was an original song by this group. My brother later played the original version by Janis joplin when I was in College. I was really surprised when I learned about it. I liked both versions of the song, though I have to admit that I like Rough Cutt's version a little more because this is what I was listening to during high school.

It would be sacrilege for me not to mention the original version by Janis Joplin because she's definitely one of the great legends of rock and the song she wrote and performed came from the heart. I guess you can say that I'm a little biase because this came out when I was growing up and finding myself, but it is only fitting that I acknowledge her because she originally made the song that this band covered. What made long for this version is the fact that before there were downloads, finding album, let alone this song was almost impossible. I've got to thank YouTube and all the downloadable programs out there for providing the tools necessary to easily find this song which was one of the many tunes that I enjoyed in my youth.

No comments: