Friday, December 4, 2009

That I Wasn't: The Glamour Boys By




The first thing that comes to mind about the 80s for me was all about being "in" or "cool". It always having what was in style at the time and seeing stare at envy because you're the man. In my case, I was never one for that. I tried it for a while but in the end, it wasn't for me. The song "The Glamour Boys" by Living Color reminds of that need the young feel to be "in" with everyone else though they're not comfortable with.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again, all that fashion and to in those "must see" spots weren't my cup of tea. I was a retro-dude dud who was satisfied with the simple things. I use to drive my mother up the wall because rather than wear all those branded clothes, I opted for the cheap factory shirts which she gave her workers. I didn't want to go to a place just to be seen or rub shoulders with people I don't even know. I go where the place is warm and the people are cool because they accept you for who you are.

Thes "in" thing will never go away and there's always an incarnation of it in every generation. There'll always be someone there who'll try to squeeze their way in just to get a rep. That wasn't for me then and will never be for me ever. In the end, I'm no glamour boy and I am glad I'm not. I'm just an ordinary schmoe and proud of it.

No comments: