Sunday, December 27, 2009

Teen Angst: Smells Like Teen Spirit By Nirvana




You know, I've said so many times but I believe I was born in the wrong decade when I heard the Grudge music in the 90's. Don't get me wrong, I liked the great rock songs that I grew up listening to but there was something that I was missing during my time that I didn't get in the 90's and that was trying to get my inner frustrations out. A lot of that decade's song really described the frustration, pessimism and pent-up anger that a lot of young people feel when they were growing up. In that decade, they would not be silent about. The best song that describes teen-aged angst is Nirvanna's song "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

I remember reading an article on my magazine about what new adults thought about the past generations and many of them harbored some resentment on the ideas that they preached which never came to be. I guess that's where the mocking part about "entertain us" comes into play". The dark setting of the song is big opposite to the tunes of the 60's, 70's and even the 80's. It clearly describe the disappointment and anger that that generation had due to the fact that they felt their past-counterparts blew it and sold out. What was left was a lot of social and moral problems that they had to deal with.

Just as it was at the height of its success, Grudge suddenly faded away and went back to the underground. It was just too deep and the style just wasn't for the fashion conscious. Still, I'm glad that even for a little, there was a voice for all those who had so much kept inside them. It was good while it lasted and things were a bit different for a change. Still, people can't stay angry forever and have to move on.

No comments: