Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Getting Down With 70's Funk: Machine Gun By The Commodores




I remember when I watched the film "Boogie Nights" Mark Wahlberg's character went shopping for some new clothes and he bought a pair of high shoes that were in fashion at the time.  He then wore them to the disco to Heather Graham's character while he's dancing and she asked what material they were made of and he replies they're Italian.  I found that scene amusing.  Still, I recognize the song being played at the scene.  It was called "Machine Gun" by The Commodores.

I remember when my brothers first bought the cassette of this group.  They played everything from both sides of the tape. It wasn't much of a disco song but more of funk.  Later on it got played in disco so it was considered under that category.  Still, my first time to hear something funky.

As the years went, things got more techno and the funk started to fade away.  Though funk made it way briefly back in the 90's, it wasn't the same.  These days I can't relate to the music anymore and I doubt if any of them are funky enough to match this song.  I just can't down with the music these days.  It's not funky enough for me.





No comments: