Friday, May 28, 2010

Those Who Give Teachers A Headache/Disappointing Juan Dela Cruz Song: Titser's Enemy No. 1 By Juan Dela Cruz




With school opening within one week's time, you can bet that students are probably going to be restless on the first day. For teachers, the first day is going to be make or break time for them. As for the "usual suspects", don't be surprised if they start to pull something out of nowhere which will probably bring the school down. When that happens, you can bet that it's going to be a long year. When I remember those students who make trouble in school, the song "Titser's Enemy No. 1" by Juan Dela Cruz Band comes to mind.

This song was a far cry from the great psychedelic rock songs that the band use to belt out in the 70's which is why I was disappointed when I heard it. Anyway, when I was a teacher I had my fair share of headaches from student trouble makers back then. I had fish sauce all over my pants and there were times when many of them literally pushed me to the boiling point. To top it off, there was the mass cheating that went on, during quizzes. I had to learn quickly to deal with the situation or loose control of the class and the trust of my peers and superiors which was like going through the eye of the needle.

It's been a while since I taught after that. For those who are about to venture forth on the first day, make sure to ask around who the trouble makers are and find out what sections they were enrolled in. Assert yourself on the first day and lay down the rules of what you expect from your students during class. Most importantly, defang those troublemakers to show the class who's boss because once you take out the top dog, the rest of the pack will obey. Remember keep your eyes sharp and your guard up to ensure not only a smooth first day but a manageable school year as well.

No comments: