Friday, May 14, 2010

My Thoughts On Machida's Loss At UFC 113: In The Burning Heart By Survivor




Last year I was singing my praises when Lyoto Machida won the UFC Light-heavyweight Championship belt. Sadly, last Sunday he lost it to Mauricio Rua in rematch set in UFC 113. When they fought last November, Machida won by controversial decision which left fans demanding for a rematch. I was hoping to see a stronger, more aggressive Machida but Shogun's desire to win carried him through the fight. When I think about the determination to win during that fight, the song "In The Burning Heart" by Survivor comes to mind.

When the fight started, I was hoping that Machida would at least change his style and be more aggressive. My hopes were raised when he was able to take Rua to the ground twice. That hope faded as he didn't attempt a ground and pound, let alone a submission. Later on, Rua got the upperhand and floored him with a punch to the head. Though I was a Machida fan, I congratulate Rua for his win and deserves winning the belt.

I am still a loyal Machida fan, but this is where the true test of his fighting spirit really begins. Will he fold and quit the UFC or will he learn and be stronger and take back the belt? Sometimes a loss can be just as beneficial as a win, if you can learn from it. Take time to nurse your wounds and when you're ready, we'll be waiting for you. Despite the loss, you have done a lot not just for Karate but for all traditional martial arts as well.

No comments: