Thursday, August 6, 2009

Reminds Me of My Batch's Carefree Ways: Give It Up By KC And The Sunshine Band




When I look at the kids during the 90's, the one thing that I admit I'm jealous of about that generation is that they had a lot of heavy music during their time. What differentiates them from my batch is the fact the great rock bands had equal airplay with mainstream pop. Back in my day, all I could hear was either pop, new wave or hip hop. Most of the tunes that I listened to was relegated to the underground. What can I say, but like I blogged before everybody was carefree back then and so were the songs. One such song that was popular during my freshman year was "Give It Up" by KC and The Sunshine Band.

Man, in my first year in highschool, a lot of kids were dancing to this tune. Apart from that, all the pastel colors in clothes and accessories really lit up the place and there was no avoiding it. Not to mention those "dance" moves which were really not my cup of tea. I really felt like a square peg to the round hole back then. If there was a term that really described me back then, it was "outsider".

Man, kids in the 90's were fortunate to have their form of rock have equal footing with mainstream pop. In my time, it was hard to listen to the music that I liked and find people who listened it as well. I guess some people find themselves at the wrong place and the wrong time. Still there were good times and I was to find some people who shared my music and my vices. It wasn't all bad and thanks to those precious few, my youth had some good moments worth remembering.

No comments: