Friday, August 21, 2009

A World Of Our Own: Barrytown By Steely Dan




You can't stop change because it's part of life. I try to be a practical person by accepting changes in my life and move on. But deep inside, a part of me wishes that some things were still the same. At times like these, I remember the big house we lived in for almost 30 years where we had no one but ourselves in our own world and the many things that that we did back there. A lot of great gimicks where true friends were invited and the party never seemed to end. Thinking about that old place, the great times and how growing up there shaped all of us all makes me want to listen to the song "Barrytown" by Steely Dan.

Man, next to the guy who posted "Opposites Do Attract" by Allsports Band, I would like to shake the hand of the man who posted this song on Youtube. Anyway like the song, although I know that times must change, there are times when I wish things were like they use to be. Although Barrytown was a town located near Bard College in New York, for me it was our old house where we lived our own lives which caused us to stand apart from others. The way we acted and talked and conducted ourselves always made us stand out from others and people often told us that. Hearing comments like made me feel that we were a breed apart.

Well, times have changed, though not for the better. Lately, I've been wishing that I was back at my "Barrytown" again where we lived in our own private Idaho. But the past is past and as times changed, we have to move on. Still that "Barrytown" will always live inside me. Like what Melegorm said when he posted on this song in Youtube, "All us Dan fans are spiritual residents of Barrytown".

No comments: