Monday, August 17, 2009

Lost In Translation: Good Intentions By Toad The Wet Sprocket




As I have said before, one of my biggest fears in life is being misunderstood by other people. What's worse than that is when they misinterpret my actions as something that might turn someone off. The last thing that I want is to have people hate me or fear me out of a gesture which I made. Getting alienated from that sure does hurt. When good gesture gets misunderstood for something else, I remember Toad The Wet Sprocket's song "Good Intentions".

This happened once before in college and that really left me with mixed feelings of rejection and confusion. It was a hard, hard lesson in relationships because I really liked that person and to have my actions interpreted that way sure hurt a lot. It was the first time that I realize the difference between what I felt and how to translate that into action. The intention got lost in translation due to bungling actions resulting in big fumble which added another notch in rejection. I guess that's the reason why I really plan what I want to say or do before taking any action.

What you think and what you do can be two different things if you aren't careful. When you try to get to know somebody, make sure that you find out what it is that they do and don't like. Be sure to know the difference between showing your determination from forcing yourself on that person because if you do the later, then you lose the game. Also try to figure what it is that you do want to do because it is only by doing so that you realize if it's really worth it. Just remember to express your intentions well cause it might get lost in translation.

No comments: