Tuesday, January 6, 2009

GQ Song: Call Me By Blondie


I remember when the film American Gigolo came out where men's fashion really took a complete overhaul. Pastel colors, square ties, 30's style shoes and other fashion trends came about. Pretty soon my brother came out with issues of GQ and we all pointed out to the styles we like best. Pretty soon (with my brother in the lead)whatever was in those magazines we'd wear it and whatever trends were on, we'd follow it. Whenever I think of that movie and the fashion trend at the time, I remember the song, "Call Me" by Blondie.

When I look back at those years. I felt I was running with the joneses. I remember my favorite scene in the movie was when Richard Gere opened his closet and laid out all his wardrobe. Man, the suits, shirts, ties were the trend of the day and at that time, they probably cost a king's ransom. The hard part about wearing those kinds of clothing is that they're not exactly suitable for casual occassions and you always have to be careful not to get them messed up because they were expensive and difficult to clean. More importantly, I didn't feel comfortable wearing them because I wasn't myself when I did.

I'm glad that I was able to shake off that phase of my life. I feel better wearing simple clothes although my brothers think I look like a dirt farmer in the choice of clothes that I wear. Well I gon't mind because I feel good in them than I did in those fashion style clothes. It doesn't mean that I'm cheap; it just that I want to be me in the clothes that I'm. When I'm in that mode, nothing else matters.

No comments: