Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009: New Year's Day By U2



Well right now my head still reeling from all the noise during New Year's Eve celebration. After polishing off a couple of bottles of wine while watching the fireworks, I still can't believe that another year has passsed. All through the night, firecrackers exploded, fire works lit up the air and horns and rattles can be heard all around as we chase off the old and welcome the new. All the while I wonder what the new year will bring after all the revelry cools down. With mixture of anticipation and melancholy, I think about all that's come and gone while listening to U2's song "New Year's Day".

After a modest dinner I spent the whole night looking at the revelry of my neighbors and though there was a light downpour, it failed to stop the fireworks and firecrackers from breaking the night's silence and illuminating the sky. As I watched, I poured myself a drink and listened to my favorite 24K songs (courtesy of my brother Ding) and simply sat back and enjoyed the show. I have to admit that as I watched the spectacle, I remember all the great times we had during the holidays and there wasn't a care in the world. My mind drifted to the good times and bad times of the past and pondered on what future would bring. Before I turned in for the night, I really hope that I find a way to make things happen for the better this time around.

Well the morning after, you can tell that everyone had a long night by the silence when you step out the door. The remnants of last night's revelry lies scattered all around and the smell of gunpowder fills the morning air. Some who have woken up are setting off the last of their fire crackers while others slowly sweep up the debris from their homes. All the while I still wonder if anything good will happen this year. There's been too much bad and too little good and I do so hope something good happens this time around.

No comments: