Friday, January 23, 2009

Back To Work: Back On The Chain Gang By The Pretenders



I never thought I'd say this but for once, I'm glad to go back to work. After a bad year and an even worse holiday, going to the daily grind doesn't feel so bad. This is true when everything that you'd hope would happen did not. Sure it's back to waking up early, long walks and smoke emissions, but atleast you get your mind focused on other things. One sad thing though, you wonder if things are ever going to go back to the way they were before. Those are my thoughts when I hear The Pretenders'song "Back On The Chain Gang".

Some of the good things I like about going to work is that you leave what happened at home behind and focus on the task at hand. Despite the headaches caused by the occassional deadline, you feel your doing something productive which give you a good emotional boost. You also feel things normalizing as you ease yourself back to your usual routine which was disrupted by all the holiday ho-hos. The only thing that I can't shut out of my mind are all the things that happened and did not happened which is the source of all my disappointments. Given the results, I couldn't wait to get back to work where I belong.

Sometimes a thought would suddenly shoot of the blue when I,m in full gear on the job. A lot of times, it would be about how things used to be which sometimes stops me in my tracks. As the thought plays itself out, I hope one day we'll be able to get it all back, especially the "bond" that has been badly damaged lately. When it's over, I breathe a deep sigh and go back to work. Holiday's over and everything back to normal so that means I'm back on the chain gang.

No comments: