Friday, January 9, 2009

Entrance Song: The Warrior By Patty Smyth And Scandal



Mix Martial Arts or "MMA" is now rising in popularity these days. With organizations led by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and other organizations, fighters of this discipline are now recognizable figures along with athletes from other sports. One thing I notice about these matches is that apart from the entourage, training and mindset, these guys also have their own entrance songs with gives a big impact to the audience and their opponents befor the match starts. Even professional boxers are now doing the same thing in big fights. I have to admit, one of the songs that I would choose as an entrance would probably be "The Warrior" by Patty Smyth And Scandal.

I use to remember how this song gave me an adrenalin rush during sparring sessions back in high school. I use to have these vivid imaginations of ancient warriors in battle whenever I hear this song. Even when I work out in the mornings, this song always helps me through the last rep. It may not be as heavy as the metal and rock songs that I listen to but it's right up there when it comes to a natural adrenalin rush which fighter needs when he goes off to battle. I still consider it a kick-ass song and I would use it if I were a mix martial artist going in for a match.

These days, I'm not as strong as I was 30 years ago. Although I still work out, I don't do that much strenuous exercise anymore. Right now I'm trying to work my way back to my old style of working out which I really miss. But thanks to this song and other 24K classics, I still find the motivation to keep exercising to this day. I have admit when I hear this song, it makes me feel like a "warrior" entering the arena to fight the good fight.

No comments: