Monday, June 16, 2008

Songs That Stick To You: More Than This By Roxy Music


Like I said before, I mostly listen to pop, rock, folk and metal songs during my youth in the 80’s; but there were times when my classmates’ persistent playing of song that were trendy back then sometimes got to me. I guess since I was part of that generation, it was not surprising that some of these songs caught my ear. A lot of these songs often were the type that had a very haunting melody and as well which always had that surreal effect of a woman’s perfume on a guy. I guess I can talk about it now because I’m at that age where you’re not shy about anything anymore. One such song was “More Than This” by Roxy Music from their album Avalon.

You can say that this is another new wave song above love that suddenly hits you out of nowhere. No matter what decade, past or present, there will always be songs like this. One thing that sets this song apart is that floating feeling that you get from listening to it. You can also say that it is one of those “spiritual massage” songs that sooths the weary soul after a stressful day. I’ll admit for some reason this is one of those songs that stop me in my tracks and again makes me drop everything I do and listen to it.

It’s been 26 years now and this song still has retained it’s magic. The fact that it still catches my ear, is proof of it’s effects on me. The most important thing about this song is that it gave me is a common factor with my peers at the time. Most of the time, I didn’t the music that they were playing, but this provided something that we can all appreciate during certain occasions. At least now I can listen to it without the ridicule.

No comments: