Monday, June 30, 2008

Sure Thing Or A Possibility: Fast Car By Tracy Chapman



I remember reading a story with a moral lesson in it. Years later, I don't remember the story but I do remember it's moral lesson: Don't exchange A sure thing for a possibility. When I think about that lesson, I think a lot about the choices that I've made and how it has affected my life. Things that I did or didn't do and how I see myself today, weighs heavy in my thoughts. Although there are some decisions that I've regretted making, there's no turning back now because possibilities, let alone, good opportunities are now getting scarce and listening to Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" remimnds me of that.

The song speaks about wanting something better in life and hoping that this possibility will make something happen. I can relate with a lot of the lyrics especially when it comes to the part of wanting a ticket to anywhere, because sometimes I'd also like something better. When things get too desperate, we sometimes pin our hopes on one thing, but unfortunately it comes up short. It gets to that point where we rather believe fantasies rather try to make the most of reality.

Many times I think about choosing possibilities over sure things and I wind up becoming the chump. I guess that shows just how foolish I was I didn't open my eyes and know what's going on. Nowadays, I try to become very careful about the things I do in life. Sure, I shouldn't be afraid to make a mistake, but there's too much at stake now and I don't want to make the same mistakes twice. In the end, this song teaches me that it all right to want something better, just be careful on what you decide on.

No comments: