Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Get Up And Go Song: Quick Silver Lightning By Rodger Daltrey



One of the things that I liked about the rock songs of my time was that not all of them were pessimistic or self-pitying.  In fact a lot them were full of energy and very inspiring; literally food for the soul.  I would wake to their sound as I prepared myself for school and the tunes help keep me awake as we all jumped in the car and even sang along with the music.  You feed off the music's adrenaline as you begin a new day.  One such song which always helped me get energized for the day's chores was sung by The Who's lead singer Rodger Daltrey called "Quick Silver" and if you haven't heard it, I suggest you do.The video for the song itself is just as inspiring as the song. It showed the street bike race between Kevin Bacon and Lawrence Fishburne across the streets of New York and if you that scene, it really gets your blood pumping.  If that doesn't get you worked up, Rodger Daltrey's powerful vocal chords will make heads turn and ears glued to the radio as he belts the lyrics in classical Who fashion.  Top that with a terific saxophone and keyboard and you end feeling that you're jacked with energy.  If anything, it would make you want to take your bike out of the rack and just zoom into the highway. The song's positive energy is strong that it manages to pull me out of my deepest funk when things go bad.  Whenever I hear this song, it makes me feel like I can do anything no matter how hard it is.  I can imagine myself with my brothers and buds listening to this song and clanking and gulping a lot of beers as the volume goes full blast.  Today's songs don't have that energy and are all depressing and rip-offs from the last three decades.  If we had more songs like this, things wouldn't look so bleak and I stand by that always.

No comments: