Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Piece Of 80's teen romance: Pretty In Pink By The Psychedelic Furs


I won't be surprised if my brothers would be shocked to find that I posted this, but it is part of the 80's pop culture and it was played on Rt's 24k. As I've stated in my past entries, I was the type who went against the flow which means that everything that about me was the opposite of what everybody else was doing. While my classmates listened to new wave, pop mixes and dance tunes, it was old blues, metal and 60's and 70's rock music for me. Nevertheless, during my time there certain songs that once you hear them, they stick to your head. It's sort of like falling for someone whose extraordinary boring. I know I'll never hear the end of this, but I have to admit it's one of the big songs of my time as well as one of the most popular movies of my generation which is "Pretty In Pink" by the Psychedelic Furs.

You know for the life of me, I'll never undestand what was so special about Molly Ringwald because she had a face fulll of freckles and had large teeth, not to menttion that she was pale as a ghost. Nevertheless she was the underdog girl of the 80's and a lot of her movies were big hits (I never watched them). The film was the usual poor girl-meets-rich-boy and live happily ever after. I'll admit when I finally did see this 15 years after, the only scene that I like from the movie was when Andrew MaCarthey said to her that he believed in her but she didn't believe in him. I guess the reason is because she kept insisting on her own terms and I hate people who are so one-sided.

I don't know why this song just keeps sticking in my head. Is it because it was part of my teen years or is it because of the saxophone, I still haven't figured it out. When this song gets played my batchmates' faces light up and they feel 25 yrs. younger. I guess I'm getting old to that point where you don't have to be embarass to listen to this stuff. Like I said it was played on Rt's 24k program and it's also apart of my generation who had a blast and carried without a care in the world which is why it has place in my blog.

No comments: