Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ideal Bar Scene Song: Caught Up In You By 38 Special



The first time I heard about the band 38 Special was through a bootleg betamax tape that was recorded by friends of ours who came from the states and MTV was just starting out.  When I saw this band, it blew me away. They played "Hold On Loosely" live at a bar where the stage was full of beer cans and bottles; the band was long-haired and bearded and so was the crowd.  After that we really got hooked on this band.  Their Greatest Hits album are among the few songs that I listen to from beginging to end and one of my favorites was the song "Caught Up In You".It was your typical type of love song whose theme was prevalent during the time: When love gets a hold on you and the effect that special someone has on you.  Apart from that, it's damn good drinking song.   The video covers both themes very well as it features what goes on a bar.  Guys trying to score while others sit back and listen to the band as they drink the night.  Either way, everyone in that video has one common goal:  To have good time. 

For me it's usually the latter because everytime I listen to this song, I'd be probably downed enoguh beer to open brewery.  It also reminds me of some of my favorite bars that I'd go like Mezzanine in Baguio where the drinks were cheap and there was always good MTV to watch and Club Dredd when it was still based in Katipunan where my brothers and friend would meet and we'd listen to the bands and enjoyed the night away with beer and other "good stuff". Everytime the group gathers and beers bottles open, this song was always being played and smiles were and laughter competed with the music and good atmosphere. I had a lot of good memories whenever I listen to this song. Drunk or sober, it's still one cool tune.

No comments: