Friday, June 13, 2008

A Very Nice Cover Song: On A Carousel By Glass Moon



I said it once, I'll say it again; when the veteran DJs of RT's 24k program take charge of the program, it next best thing to a time machine or a youth potion. They play anything from the well-known hits to the one-hit-wonders of the era. Whenever they play a one-hit-wonder, it makes you stop what you are doing and want to just listen to the song. One such song that had such an effect on me, I suddenly found just a while ago and I finally know the band that played it. The song's title was "On A Carousel" by the band Glass Moon.

Originally done by the Hollies which was Graham Nash's original band, I can say their version was updated to fit the 80's which they accomplished very well. Like a carousel, this song takes the listener to a ride and once the ride starts, he doesn't want to get off. Every time I listen to this song, I remember the old gyms during summer vacation when the airconditioner was on full blast and we'd listen to the radio all day and just trip out. Just like the carnival ride, it takes all your worries away and you find yourself singing along to the end of the song. That's the reason why it's one of my favorite 24k songs.

I can't say which version is better. To appreciate it, you have to put yourself in the decade where it became popular. Quiet frankly, I like both versions. I guess I listen to Glass Moon's version more because it was from my generation. Either way, you won't loose with the two versions of this song. I am grateful to the Hollies for writing it and for Glass Moon for doing a cover of it during my time cause it's a good song which 24k kept alive.


No comments: