Monday, June 2, 2008

Don't Buckle Under Pressure: Under Pressure By Queen And David Bowie



There's not a day let alone a moment when I'm not reminded of hard life is nowadays. Working in government service, balancing what you earned with the many demands of life is a real bummer. It hurts everytime when we fall short of things which leads to a lot shouting as well sacrifing everything bill and coin in your pay envelope. What's worse is hearing all the moans and groans regarding the never-ending bad news that just ruin your day and leaves you emotionally drained. Be that as it may, life goes on and we just have to meet every problem with a stiff upper lip no matter how bad things are which reminds me of the song "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie.

At first I couldn't understand why they made such a whacky video for this song. Japanese subway commuters, horror movies, the depression, riots, demolished buildings, rock concerts and kissing couples were images that made up this song's video and back then, I couldn't understand why. Lately my interpretation of the images, represent the following ideas in this order: People going about the daily grind yet worried about what might happened; dreading an economic breakdown which leads to society's downfall and a period of chaos; people angry at the establishment for letting things fall and finding hope and chance in the future.
This is my analysis of what this song is all about. I don't claim to be correct about my interpretation though that's what I think this song's message is trying to tell us.

When I hear songs like these, it reminds that no matter how hard life is, you must never give up and keep fighting till you achieve your goals. Be also aware that there are others like you or in worse situations like you and they are still out there hanging tough with the times. It reminds me of that old tried and true lesson "Tough times don't last, but tough people do" which reminds us not to give in no matter hard life gets. Though I have to admit a hated a sanitary napkin company who used this song for a jingle in their commercial because it didn't do justice to the song, infact, they almost killed it.

No comments: