Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fun Tin Metal: We're Not Going To Take It By Twisted Sister



One of the common critiques that people often talk about the 80's is that we were shallow. It was like an updated version of Pleasantville during that time. What they didn't understand was that after two tumultous decades, people just wanted to chill and despite issues like terrorism, the cold war and dictartorships, everybody just wanted to have a good time. Though rock bands were still belting out heavy tunes, there bands out there who claimed to metal bands but whose music was so shallow they were more like tin than metal; it was like comparing a chinese motorcycle to a Harley Davidson. One such band was Twisted Sister and first song that I heard from them was "We're Not Going To Take It".

I think their videos helped sell their songs and I have to admit they had a lot of funny videos. MTV sure help a lot of bands, both old and new, promote their music and Twisted Sister was among those who benefitted from the institution. What made the video of this song hilarious was the fact that the actor who play Neidermeier in Animal played the tyranical dad whose abuse led his children to transform into members of the band. How they transformed is the funny part and the way they banged their had kept me laughing as I watched this. Those were the times back then.

It reminds me of light things were back then and despite certain issues that I have mentioned before, we just wanted to have fun. Though I prefered heavier and classic style metal, I have to admit I enjoyed listening to this song. It's strange how during it's time, this song and others tunes used to play nonstop everyday. Now I seldom here it in the classic programs or see the video on cable. I guess Steely Dan was right when they said that those days are gone forever over a long time ago.

No comments: