Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Quiet Beetle Proves His Groove: Set On You By George Harrison



When You think of the Beatles, it's always a competition between John Lennon or Paul MaCarthey.  Both were talented artists and both often competed for leadership of the group.  If I was ask who my favorite member was today, people would probably shake or scratch their heads because my choice is George Harrison. He was known as the "Quiet Beetle" because he didn't attract much attention compared to the other two. nevertheless, he was just as talented as they were.  Proof was during the late eighties where he was part of the Traveling Wilburys and when he came out with a solo album called "Cloud 9".  The carrier single of this album proves that he can also party with the best of them titled "Set On You".For me the song is describes what happens when somebody catches one's attention.  We do all that we can to win that special sombody, no matter how great the odds are. There were two video versions of this song.  One where he was at the living room and all the decorations started moving and the second which I prefer was set in an arcade where a guy tries to grab a prize to give to a girl that he saw and instantly likes.  I prefer the second video because it gives a better discription of the song.Instead of my eyes, it was my ear that got caught by the catchy tune of this song.  It is surprising because majority of his songs were more sober and spiritual.  At a time when good songs were scarce, this was was music to my ear.  I was saddened when I heard the news of his death in 2001. He will live on through the songs he sang which have withstood the test of time.

No comments: