Friday, March 26, 2010

Not Quite What I Expected: Amanda By Boston





As many of you have noticed, many of my entries make use of songs from the band Boston. The first time I heard the song "More Than A Feeling", I was totally blown away by it and have liked it and several other songs since. After going on a long hiatus, I heard that the band was coming out with a new album. This got me totally excited that I just couldn't wait and neither can my brothers. The carrier single of the new album was called "Amanda".

During my younger days, really good heart-pounding rock songs were becoming a rare commodity which is one of the reasons for my excitement. I guess I was hoping for more of the same heavy rock band that always knocked my head off my shoulders. As I listened to the carrier single, it didn't sound right. There were no heavy guitars and drums and high-pitched lead vocals that blasted me away. Instead, it was more of a love ballad that left me scratching my head in disbelief because this wasn't the same band that I rocked to when I first heard them.

Although, there were a few good songs, it doesn't measure up to their earlier hits. Though I admit that I expecting the same, I was hoping for something much like their usual play. I guess times mellows even the most hardest rockers. With lead singer Brad Delp's passing, I guess it will be long time before we someone who can belt it out like he use to do. In the end, it's just not what I expected.

No comments: