Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Doin' Some Soul Searching/Elvis Tribute: Walking In Memphis By Marc Cohn




With thing's heating up early this year, everybody's thoughts are focused on what they plan to do this summer. A lot of people are probably thinking beach or mountains. For some, however, they probably plan to do some soul-searching. With all the hectic schedules and the monotonous routines, one will begin to feel that something's missing and this is the best time to find it. A good song that I think fits this mood is "Walking In Memphis" by Marc Cohn.

This song was written as a tribute to the "King" Elvis Presley as well as describes the Memphis, Tennessee and the sights it has to offer. At the same time, I think the singer was searching for something as he traveled across the state. As he goes from place to place, I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere along the way, he discovers something about himself through the Memphis' sights and sound. At the end of the song, you can tell that he got something valuable from the journey. If I was to go on a journey, that's what I want to get out of it as well.

Lately, I've been thinking that when things settle down and what I've been working on starts to yield results, I would like to go on a trip as well. I guess I've been feeling the rut from the monotony of my life. Ironically, in trying to catch up with myself, I've lost a lot of things that would have filled the holes in my life. I just hope that when I'm granted this opportunity, I get the same satisfaction that Marc Cohn's character did in this song. May that day come soon.

No comments: