Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A More Sober Summer Mood: Summertime By Janis Joplin



Right now, everybody is in an upbeat mood because everyone's punched out and it's off to your favorite getaway for the summer. The vacation leaves' have been approved and filed and the party begins. Right now, I'm in a more sober mood, mainly because tomorrow is the high point of the Lenten season. A lot of times when that time comes up in the summer, I tend to be more reflective and though I'm not deeply religious like my parents, there's something about this period where there is a need to pause look inward. Everytime I do that, memories and images from the past would start to flash through my head. One song that brings the past in my head is Janis Joplin's song "Summertime".

This is one of those songs that you have to listen to by yourself and whether yourfield or by the seashore, the intensity of songs emotion really get to you. A little booze or some herbs really put your emotions at ease when the memories tend to overwhelm you when listening to this song. You're gonna need it when the emotions from those memories start to get to you. When they come alive only to disappear again, it really hurts. All your left with is that empty, lomging feeling of what could have been while the past just blows away with the cool summer wind.

A lot of times, I find myself looking back at the past during the summer. This happens when I need to just sit down and take stock of things. In short, some chillout time. When the summerwind comes blowing, it really awakens alot of intense memories of good and bad times that left a mark on me. Atleast, I there was some good even during the bad times which is just as well in the summertime.

No comments: