Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Stigma Song: Joey By Concrete Blonde



From my early childhood to the present, one of my biggest fears was falling down and finding myself once again in the gutter. During my first taste of the real world, I made some bad choices that landed me in very miserable situations where people looked down and criticized me so much, I wanted to run and hide. This happened not only once but twice with the second lasting longer which really made me so bitter that I thought there was no light at the tunnel. Even though I was able to get through both experiences, it really scarred me emotionally. I guess even though the song "Joey" by Concrete Blonde reminds me of those two terrible ordeals, at the same time, it helped comfort me like a lot of 24k songs did.

From what I know, the song is about an alcholic who's having difficulty with his cravings which results in conflict with people who care about him. The hard part about having an addiction or even making a mistake is that it marks you for long time and in some cases for life. Even those who are making progress with their alcoholism or other problems often find it difficult to shake the negative image brought about by their vices or weaknesses. Sometimes even though you've earned your redemption and your friends and family say it's allright, you sometimes feel it's not. Bear in mind though, that if you really want to break the habit, you can and redemption though hard, is possible.

As I mentioned in my first paragraph, I've had my share of mistakes and it wasn't about alcohol, but for me it was enough to get an earful of criticism from everyone I know. I couldn't blame because they were right and the worst part of it all is that I kept making the same decisions that got me to that point and even now, I still have that bad habit. Nowadays, I tend to be very careful of deciding what it is I want to do because at this point in life, it not only affects me but the people around me. People tell not to dwell in the past, but I can't help it because it terrifies me that I might repeat it again if I'm not careful. For the sake of myself and my family, day and night I pray that not to let it happen again.

No comments: