Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Song For Day Dreamers and Escapists : Shadows Of The Night By Pat Benatar



Whenever I think of the novel Don Quixote, I can't blame the old man in that book for wanting to go out and become a Knight. When life loses it's meaning and you're caught in a monotonous colorless existence, it can really put a strain on your sanity. For those of us who bear such a monotonous and boring routine, there are times when we wish things were different and life was not what is but what we planned it to be. Hopefully, one day and with hard work and smart decisions, we can pull it off before we become Don Quixotes ourselves. The song "Shadows Of The Night" by Pat Benatar reminds me that there are a lot of daydreamers and escapists out there who feel the same way.

When I hear the part about about taking her and everything will be all right, I really wish it was so. Call it a weakness, but I have to admit many times when the ends, I breathe a heavy sigh and it's not about relief. The video is a good match for the song which features Pat working on an assemblyline during WWII. She dreams of a more action-packed life as a pilot who infiltrates the Germans; fights them in the air and blows up their fortress. This dream suddenly ends and she goes back to her boring routine at the factory. I'm not surprised that many of us feel the same way.

To be fair though, we are partly to blame if we feel this sense of unfullfillment. One hard lesson some of my brothers lectured me was that if you want something, you have to go all the way to attain it. I guess I didn't try hard enough and I fell short. As a result, I just make do with what's left. Still, I believe in another life lesson: While there's life, there's hope. So while I'm still on this earth, I still work hard to attain my dreams and not be limited to a daydreamer living inside his head.

No comments: