Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Scooter/Mod Song: Good Thing By Fine Young Cannibals



When you say the word "Vespa" and the faces of my three older brothers would suddenly light up with delight. The reason for this is because they're scooter fanatics. The Vespas that the first two have really make heads turn and when it comes to a road trip, they won't hesitate to don their gear and head for the open road with their group. Although I don't share their love for scooters, I have to admit when I see them on their scooters, I get a bit envious sometimes because of that look of freedom that they have on their faces especially when they go on a road trip. And when I hear the word scooter or Vespa, I sometimes request the song "Good Thing" by the group the Fine Young Cannibals.

Apart from the catchy tune, what attracted me to the song was the music video which features the band hanging out with a British scooter group. There were different scooters of that were customized to suit the rider's personality. If I remember right these scooter groups were called Mods and like an American biker, they treasure their scooters in pretty much the same way. Although the song talks about romance or a woman, I guess riding in a well cared Vespa with your friends is also a good thing. In my opinion, it's a better thing.

Though I'm a walking man, I have to admit seeing people on vintage bikes or scooters like these, it make me feel good. My mother doesn't understand what my brothers get out of riding their scooters because she's scared of them. What she doesn't understand is when you ride on the open road, you get feeling of freedom that can only be felt when you take a journey as you discover new things about different places and about yourself in the process. It the end, it can all be summed up in one thing: Freedom. If that isn't a good thing, I don't what is.

No comments: