Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Caged Souls: Soul Cages By Sting


A remember in the movie "Scent Of A Woman" Colonel Frank Slade said that there is nothing worse than an amputated spirit because there is no prosthetic for that.  Whenever that line, I remember seeing people with disabilities do great things and at the same time there are people who look perfect yet fail at every turn.  I guess it goes deeper than just an injury m but something deep in the mind or the soul that causes their inability to do something.  When I think of people who are imprisoned by their own fears or experiences, the song "The Soul Cages" by Sting comes to mind.

For me, this song is about the intangible things that hold us back and keep us prisoners or they could be a prison of our own making because we chose to give up and hide somewhere deep where no one can reach us.  When that happens we feel that everything is out reach and we are out of touch with everyone else.  People wonder why despite the fact that it's all out there, we still don;t take action and when it's gone we wallow in self-pity. It's like can't has become an invisible shackle that keeps us from going for what we want.  When that happens we destroy ourselves from the inside-out.

I know what it's like to walk around in an invisible cage which is why I'm writing this post and I can tell you it's a lousy feeling to be held prisoner from within.  It took me a while to shake off and that's why I'm finding my way.  For those of you who feel hemmed in or shackled, break loose while you still can.  Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed.  To be caged soul is the same as being dead even if you are still alive.  So break free from it and breathe the free air.

  

No comments: