Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Radio Was Always There: Hand On The Radio By Henry Lee Summer





My 24K songs are special to me because not only do they remind me of the good times I've had in the past but they were also the only source of entertainment I had back then.  Unlike today, where you can surf, text or play online till you dropped, the entertainment back then was television, movies and yes the radio.  Of the three sources, the radio was always there. Having the radio on hand all the time reminds me of the song "Hand On The Radio" by Henry Lee Summer.

Every generation had something that kept them entertained after long day at school or work. In my case, television was a rare opportunity because there only two or at most three t.v. sets at home.  Most of them either featured basketball games, golf tournaments or the news.  As for the movies, a lot of them were either cheesy or on the B side.  Still, I had that radio my father gave me and I just it turn and everything brightens up.  All those songs filling the airwaves while I relaxed in my bed was enough to make me happy.

Today, a television set is useless unless you have cable and movies costs a fortune.  A computer is useless without the net and sadly the radio doesn't sound the same as it way back then.  Well at least, I still got my precious to keep happy during the week and on weekends, there's 24K on 99.5 rt where past comes back to life.  It remind me of a time when there the radio was there to keep me entertained. These these days 24K is still there on a Saturdays and I'll settle for that.



No comments: