Thursday, January 28, 2010

That Was Some Quick Wave: I Ran By Flock Of Seagulls




I remember when New Wave hit the scene in the early 80's. Pants started getting slimmer and hair styles started to look very space age. A lot of bands from the UK who played this kind of music started taking over the airwaves. I wasn't a fan of this trend but a lot of my batch mates took to this music like fish to water. During my time, this music flooded the airwaves. One such band was riding on the success of this trend was A Flock Of Seagulls and one of the hit songs that they had was called "I Ran".

Though I didn't really listen to this band or this type of music, nevertheless it was played on Rt back then and also on 24K Week End. The first thing that struck about this band was it's hairstyle. They looked more like Hawkman that seagulls. Still I remember that once this song played on the radio, my friends started gyrating like Elvis. It was one of those songs that you heard on the radio 24/7 and thought that it would never stop.

Well, when the 80's disappeared, so did New Wave. When the 90's came along, grunge as well 60's and 70's style music became the norm. Today, it's seems that 80's music is enjoying a revival, though I think the new bands are a poor imitation of the genre. I guess you know that the trend is over when the music stops playing and the bands who played them suddenly disappear. One thing for sure, that was some quick wave.

No comments: