Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Now This Is Hip: What Is Hip By Tower Of Power



No matter kind of music I listened to in the past, there was always a band that a either had a saxophone or a horn sections. From the 60's, 70's, 80's and even the 90's, you would be able to hear someone belt a mean horn tune. It really added a kick to a song by filling it with a lot of soul. It could give a lead guitarist or a drummer a run for his money when it came to standing out. One such song where horns rule was Tower Of Power's "What Is Hip?"

This is one band where the horns rule. The first time I listened to this song, the horns really blew me away. There was a lot of funk to it and to say that it caught one's attention was an understatement. Ironically, it is the vocals who give the horns some competition. The way they take turns at answering each other was really cool.

These days, I don't hear any songs that has a saxophone, let alone a horn section in it. These days I'd rather retreat to my 24K favs than see what's new. It's not just about horn bands, but there's no soul to it anymore. These days, singers sound more like crying or whining rather than signing. There's no fun music like this. If there was something that was hip, this song was definitely hip and will be in my ears and still is.

No comments: