Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hedonistic 80's: Relax By Frankie Goes To Hollywood



I remember back when I was in high school, a lot of new wave songs were really getting rauchy. This was coupled by the style back then where leather and spandex became the rage as well as pastel and cardigans. Punks, new wavers and metal heads often went around clad like they were characters from a Mad Max movie. Some of the songs were more prone to tell people to let go of their inhibitions and just let loose. Remembering that aspect of the past reminds me of the song "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

If people let them loose in the 70's, they took it to another level in the 80's. The clubs back then that played this song was anything but wholesome. When leather was involved, you can bet that it's just the tip of the iceberg. When they bring out the other "toys", you can bet you're in for a long night. Well if that's what gets some people off, that's their thing.

Different strokes for different folks they say. Some like it but this isn't my cup of tea. It's too crazy for my taste. Even today, when I hear this song, the images that arises from it gives me goose bumps. For me, this song really embodies that the hedonistic side of the 80's.

No comments: