Saturday, July 3, 2010

When Idealism And Enthusiasm Wear Out: Things Have Changed By Bob Dylan




I remember when I recently graduated from college, I wanted to work for the government. I applied to the National Security Council and got assigned to the Conference Management Office. At first, I was excited because I wanted to be part of the big change since the ouster of Marcos and the rise of Cory Administration. That enthusiasm soon ran out with the year's end. When I remember the disappointment that I had there, the song "Things Have Changed" by Bob Dylan comes to mind.

My excitement wore out because apart from working overtime for no reason, there some heads who really gave me a tough time. Apart from that, the job that I was doing was not really what I wanted to do. As the days wore on, I felt my burn out getting worse and worse. Finally, a humiliating task was the last straw on the camel's back for me. After a long decision, I decided to quit and tendered my resignation.

Ironically, I am currently working in government again. Still, the people here and team dynamics are a whole lot better than that place. At least, I here I can do what I do best and not be relegating to some tasks that can be so demeaning. Still, I hope improve soon because I can sure use some extra income. Things really have changed a lot and now it's all about surviving in a very harsh world.

No comments: