Friday, July 16, 2010

Best Gun-Fight Scene On Anime TV: Rain From Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack



I remember during my high school days when cartoons lost its edge. All of a sudden, when you watch a cartoon with your favorite hero, you'll be lucky when all he does is dodge his opponents attacks because that's all the action you'll be seeing. It wasn't until the late 80's when the first "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe" cartoons came out that real punching action came back, but it was still very tame. When I saw the episode "Ballad Of Fallen Angels" from Cowboy Bebop, it really blew me away. The song that was played during that sequence was called "Rain" from the Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack.

There's a male and female version of this song. If I'm right, the female version was sung by Mai Yamane and another was by Yoko Kanno. Anyway, this was played when Spike was on his way to confront Vicious and before the action began, they had a short talk. When the song ended, the bullets and granades started flying as the body count started piling. The fight ended with both Spike and Vicious badly wounded and they would again face off in the final episode. That scene goes up there with any good shooting scene in live action movies.

Some family would find this scene too excessive and I don't blame them. Still, I raise on watching really gritty action sequences; the real "in your face' thing. Still, even when I was young I had the sense to know that it's just a show and should not be emulated. When you're siblings are made up of all guys, flicks like this come naturally. I consider this the best cartoon/anime gunfight that I have seen on tv.

No comments: