Friday, July 30, 2010

Mr. Nice Guy: I'm Easy By Keith Carradine



I remember a few years ago, my friends came over treated me to a beer which was one of the rare occasions where we would be together. As we drank, like everyone else, we always spill out our thoughts on why life is so hard. When my turn came, one of my friends told me that one of the reasons why you're in that state is because you're too nice. To this day, what he said still the inner recesses of mind when I have some time to myself. One song that brings that thought to my head is "I'm Easy" by Keith Carradine.

In house where tempers tend to light up and explode when things go wrong, I learned early in life not to add more fuel to the fire. Because of that, I eventually would up to the "nice guy" who would not demand and always give in. The trouble was that it was getting to the point where I was already giving up things that would fulfilled me or more importantly, made me happy. As much as it is hard for me to admit, that's one of the reasons why I am in the position that I find myself at present. Worst part about it all is that I almost lost myself in the process.

I know it's a little too late but at present, I'm trying to take measures to rectify that. Things like standing my ground on what I really want and going the extra mile to make my dreams come true. I know it's kinda late but better late than never. It's cool to give from time to time but it shouldn't be to the point where you give away your happiness and you find yourself lost. There's a point where being "nice' will do you more harm than good. As the Dauphin said in Henry V: "Self love my liege is not so great a sin as self-neglect".

No comments: