Monday, November 24, 2008

Taking A Stroll After Work: You Belong To The City By Glenn Frey



Makati and Manila were among the places that I used to work in and one of the things that I miss about working there is that when the day's work is over and you don't feel like going home yet, it was a good place to stroll and see the sights. A lot of times when I didn't feel like heading home, I'd either just sit somewhere and watch people move about or just have a couple of bottles to unwide as I reflect on the day's developments. When I do have a brew, I don't go into a drinking spree as I usually do when the gang gathered around, but rather drank slowly to enjoy the taste. When I've had my fill and finally relax, then I call it a day and go home. Thinking of those opportunities were I had a little time to myself reminds of Glen Frey's song "Belong In The City".

The great thing about those two cities was that there always somewhere to go and sometimes it was easy to go to being that the distance wasn't far and all you had to was walk. The walking does alot of good as it lets you loosen up a little. When you see a place to hang out or do something you want, it was there for you to enjoy. It was a good kind of therapy, especially when the day didn't end very well. I didn't have that much responsibility then and my joys were simple and doing that helped get the emotional weight of my chest.

Right now, I have not the time or the bread to do that and there just too many responsibilities to handle to go on a night on the city. I have no regrets because I guess it's part of growing old and it's a sign that people count on you and I don't want to let them down. Still, I hope I get a chance to do it again once in a while. The cool night air, good smoke and a cool glass of beer can do you some good. Just don't abuse it cause it destroys the mood and the purpose since this kind of tripping out was meant for reflection not partying out.

No comments: