Saturday, November 22, 2008

Club Dredd/Red Rock Days: We're An American Band By Grand Funk Rail Road



When I was in high school most of the gimicks I went to were the parties of my brother's friends. Most of the time, I tagged along with them whenever something was going down and although I always had a good time, I wished there was a place that I can go and hangout with my own group. That wish came true when I was in college and classmate of mine told of a place where rock bands performed and the beer was cheap called Red Rock which later renamed Club Dredd. I had a lot of fun there because whenever we went there, you can be sure that there either good bands playing or you'd meet your friends or both. When I think of the thrill of going there with my brothers or my friends to have beer and listen to good bands play, I think of the song "We're An American Band" by Grand Funk Rail Road.

The thrill of it was the fact that you were going to a place where you can be with your own people and listen the music that you like to hear. Others would usually go to Faces or Mars, but being a rocker, I just want to hear music that I like and get drunk while I enjoy the songs. It the underground hangout of the time and for those who wanted to be different, this was the place to be. Like the song, going to a place where you feel like you belong and rock the night away. Like the song, being there really pumps up my adrenalin and relaxes me at the same time as feel good on a weekend.

When I remember the times I spent there, it helped make me feel like there's a place for me to rock. I still remember a lot of the patrons where some look like your average joe while others either were long-haired, bearded, tattooed, clad in leather or all of the above. One thing we had in common was we all rocked when the bands belted out their tunes and brought the house down. A lot of things went down and it was all good and the satisfaction was guaranteed. So whenever I hear this song, it takes me back to days when that bar helped me party down and gave me and my batchmates a place to go to on a weekend.

No comments: