Friday, September 16, 2011

80's Excess/When You're Life's A Mess: Bright Lights, Big City By Billy Jimmy Reed




One of the movies that left a deep impression on me was the movie "Bright Lights, Big City" which was based on the book of the same name by Jay Mclnerney which starred Micheal J. Fox. It was about a fact checker who was struggling to keep his job as well as the excess of the big parties and personal problems that were taking a mental and emotional toll on his life. Eventually he lost his job and his wife but he was able to get hold of himdself and break free of the excesses that kept him down. After all those heavy party scenes, I remember the last part where he was muching of fresh bread and complating starting over with Jimmy Reed's song "Bright Lights, Big City" playing in the background.

I guess I could relate with the character because like him, there was a time when I was under a lot of pressure. The scene where he lost his job reminded me of the time the new management moved in and we were let go in favor of the incoming staff that they brought along. This happened during one of my down cycles when the good times ended and the hardships began. Those party scenes remind me of some of the times when I went to some gimmicks but felt out of place and just got plastered. I didn't really enjoy myself because I was out of my element and trying to be with the in-crowd wasn't all that it was made to be.

Right now, I'm still coping with a lot of things which why I stay sober these days. When you do things in excess and for the wrong reasons, you really start to loose your head and your grip on reality. There are a lot of things that I need to clear up right now and hopefully get thngs back on track. Things are still tough but I do hope I find a way out of this. Till then, I'll have to keep on moving in the hope that something comes along

No comments: