Thursday, May 12, 2011

When There Are Two Versions Of A Song: Don't Stand So Close To Me (Updated Version) By The Police




Most of the time, I prefer a song in its original format and sung by
the original band/artist. Very seldom do I listen to a re-make of a
song because nothing beats the original (Although I did like Rough
Cut's version of Janis Joplin's "Lately"). If a band or a singer does
cover of a classic song, he/she better do justice to it because if it
comes out lousy then it really affects the original. It's surprising
that the original band would come out with a new version of a hit
song that they made. The Police did this when they released an
updated version of their hit "Don't Stand So Close To Me'.

The original song was already cool on its own. I was surprised that
they came out with this and not a new song. It was an updated version
with a lot of keyboards and synthesizers and was very 80's. There was
a lot of discussions about among my friends and many were divided on
it. A lot liked the new version because it sounds very much like
sounds of their generation while I preferred the original version for
the simple reason that it was the first.

It took me awhile to get accustomed to this new version. I guess I
thought that it was too commercialized back then. When this song gets
requested on 24K, you to specify what version you want to hear. I
guess different strokes for different folks. That's what happens when
you have two versions of the same song.


No comments: