Monday, May 16, 2011

Farewell To The "Natural": Lunatic Fringe By Red Rider




As much as I cheered Lyoto Machida's win in UFC 129, I was also saddened by the fact that of all the fighters he defeated, it had to be Randy "The Natural" Couture. It gets worse since it was his farewell match and he got KOed by kick to the jaw. I was a fan of both fighters and to see two of my favorite mma idols fight was stressful and painful for me to watch. Still, I've got to give to the man because he THE pillar that made MMA what it is today. I'll be using Red Rider's "Lunatic Fringe" for this post because he used it for his entrance to the octagon.

I know this song is more associated with Dan Henderson but I am not surprised that Randy also used it because it was taken from wrestling movie "Vision Quest". Though he was a wrestler first and foremost, Randy was able to face a multitude of fighters and was able to match them standing up or on the ground. He was a three time UFC Heavyweight champion and a two time UFC Light Heavyweight championm but more than that he always fought with a lot of heart and even if his opponents were bigger and stronger or had more training, he always comes through with a win. Even though he lost his last fight, Randy had nothing to be ashamed of and as he walked out of the octagon the crowd gave him a standing ovation and chanted his name for all that he has done for the sport.


As of now, Randy has a successful business running his Xtreme Couture gym where many great fighters train. He's also been doing some movie work most notably "The Expendables". Still, I hope to see him still involve in MMA in terms of promotions or being a spokesman for the sports. I also hope Dana White does something for him for he along with Chuck Liddell made the UFC what it is today. Captain America has left the building.

No comments: