Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Song That Pays Tribute To A Great Actress That Also Rocked 1981: Bette Davis Eyes By Kim Carnes




Before there was cable, one of my thewas "The News That Rocked '81" which focused on the news and developments that happened in rock at the time. Whether it was break thus or break ups, or new star rising or the passing of legends, I glued to the show every time they featured it. A lot of my favorite singers and bands such as rush, Yes as well as artists such as Billy Squier, Steve Windwood. The one who got the attention was Kim Carnes. The song that had rocked that year was called "Bette Davis Eyes".

It was said to be a tribute to actress Bette Davis who was surprised that a song was named after her. It was the early days of music and I guess anything goes at the time. Though the video didn't make sense, the song still sounded cool. So cool that it won a Grammy. Those were the times.

Like a lot of 24K classics, this one had a lot of airplay back then. When I hear it on 24K, I'm often struck at how old this song is now. Still, it's a cool and haunting song. It goes up there with all the other 24K hits. I guess that's why I appreciate it now.

No comments: