Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Gentle Approach: Try A Little Tenderness By Otis Redding





I've always been described as a "nice guy". Some people say that I'm to nice to the point of being a push over. Despite that perception, there are times when I stand my ground. I just want to see if things get resolved through gentle means. When it comes to the gentle approach, the song "Try A Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding comes to mind.

When people around you have short fuses, you start to think if you want to add fuel to the fire or try to cool things down. Between the two, I chose the latter cause there's no use stoking the flames when it's already blazing. When tempers fly, you have let cooler heads prevail. Although sometimes, explosives are the best way to put a fire. That means shouting at the top of your lungs when gentleness is no longer effective.

I guess it's my training with martial arts that taught me that blowing up only alienates people and you can't have that when times are crucial. I have to admit that there are times when I'm the one who gives if means keeping the peace which leads to the push over perception. Still if that doesn't work, then I get aggressive because not only did they exhaust my patience but they also insult me as well. That brings out the worst in me. That's why when people are hot tempered use the gentle approach and hope the hot heads listen. It's a better alternative to the opposite.

No comments: