Thursday, October 1, 2009

What Happened?!!!: We Built This City On Rock And Roll By Starship


When I started partying out with my brothers, it was at that point in life that we started to go against the flow and listened either blues, folk, metal and the classic psychedelic sounds of the 60's and 70's. Bands like The Who, Big Brother And The Holding Co., Jimmy Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane were what we listened to when we'e already "trippin". Sadly, at this point in my life, I learned was the lesson "Things Change" was all about. Some of these great bands radically changed their image and worse their music to reach out to the audience at the time. One such band who did so was Jefferson Airplane who became Jefferson Starship then Starship and the song "We Built This City On Rock And Roll" left me scratching my head and asking "What Happened!!!?" I remember when they changed' their name from Airplane to Starship, I thought was to go along with dawn of the techno-boom that the 80's was often associated with. There first album who songs were very 80's style still retained their rock edge. One day, I watching a music video program and it announced that Jefferson Starship has a new hit single which got me excited. That excitement turned to a big DISAPPOINTMENT when I heard the song and saw the video. This wasn't the band that I remember listening to that had solid psychedelic rock sound but the run-of-the-mill pop group whom kids would dance as the song played. My jaw dropped as the song and video played out and I left the room with downed spirits. After a few years, the band faded away again and I hate to say it, I think was for the best. I would rather just listen to the sound that they had from the 60's to 1984 which all cool. I know they were trying to reach a new audience but that was not the band that I was listening to and grew to like. It was like they sold out and I bet there were some hardcore fans who were not pleased as well. Since then, I've been wary of great music icons coming out with new hits after years of retirement because it may not sound the same. I don't want to get all excited again only to once again ask the question "What Happened?!!!!"

No comments: